/> LukeandNick.com

Entry 43 // The Journey to Ethiopia Day 5 of 7.

Update by: Nick | March 31 2011

We wake up in the morning still dehydratred from the day before. We try our best to hydrate and pound most of our days supply. I think we are finally making progress. Since we are sleeping in tents it was easy to wake up early and hit the road before it get's too hot. I should clarify, it's already 90 degrees at 7 in the morning, so too hot means 100 plus.
The last 20 kilometers we did yesterday went really fast and the terrain was fun but pretty easy. Today we couldn't say that. It was still fun, but not easy. 1 kilometer from our campsite the road turned into pretty ruthless rocks. It is hard to find a good speed to go, so we settled on going fast.The miles are going by really slow. We are planning on driving 150 miles to the Ethiopian border today. But we end up stopping every 5-10 miles to take a break.
We continue cruising at roughly 30 mph through this rocky section when I decide to hit larger than expected rock while turning slightly. This made my front end shot up in the air a bit while the bike decided to lean over a little more. By the time my front tire was on the ground it was too late, I wasn't going to be able to save it. My bike starts sliding on the rocks at 30 mph. Luckily I was only going 30 at the time. All I could do was hold on to the bike as it slid over all the rocks. It's a good thing my bike has so much crap on it. I didn't even touch the rocks. My handlebar guards and spare gas can took the beating, my bike and I came out without a scratch. That is a relief! Fortunately for me I didn't take a picture; it just sucks for you and especially luke. I catch up to Luke who is waiting on the side of the road a few k ahead. I tell him the story and he calls me out for not taking a picture.
We drive a few kilometers down the road and stop to see some camels. Luke decides to chase them down.We take off and don't get very far before Luke gets a flat tire. Wow, this is 4 days in a row with flat tires, 2 for me and 2 for luke. Luke now has a substantial lead in the grand total of flat tires: Luke 4, Me 2.5.Yes, people managed to show up there too. It's like they sit in the bushes waiting for people to get flats.
While we are there Luke notices his clutch fluid is leaking. He takes it apart and then puts it back together making sure everything is tight. It probably needs a new o-ring so their isn't anything he can do about it here.We also decide to take a look at our tires, we are noticing our bikes are feeling pretty sloppy jalopy. Luke is regreting not buying a front tire in Nairobi. This road is tearing our tires apart. These things look gross!
Luke's frontMy rearNow that things are taken care of we hit the road again.Luke is in the lead with me in close follow. I look up and see a dust cloud on the hill in front of me. Then I notice luke's bike on it's side. I guess the road beat us both today. I'm not exactly sure what happened. Luke could probably explain it better. I'm pretty sure he got some air off the hill and came down in a rut. He new he needed to stear into the side of the rut and keep leaning into it, but our crappy tires probably had something to do with the reason he was on his side with hand in a picker bush. Unfortunately for him I took a picture. Good for us though! He seemed to have pretty good attitude about it.Nothing major happened to the bike luckily. Only a screw pulled out of the plastic fairing.Soon our connects with more "main" road and the riding gets a bit easier.we see some ant hills and stop to investigate. Why is their never any ant activity around these massive hills?With the roads like this it's not too long before we are to last town in Kenya. Ethiopia is only 10 kilometers away. When we arrive in the village we are told to go to the police building and get checked out of kenya. He doesn't have a exit stamp for our passports, all he does is write our names in a book. Then he tells us when we get to ethiopia we have to go to a town and get stamped in. There is no border post; I guess it's the honor system. He gives us direction of where we need to go. We have to drive 45 kilometers into Ethiopia and take a left at the fork in the road. That works for us.
Now it's time to find some gas, water and feedbags. We are still dehydrated. It's rough riding over those rocks in 100+ degree weather. Only one guy has gas and he is selling it for twice the price of the rest of Kenya. We know the reason, but still don't want to pay that much. We both check our fuel and decide to try to get fuel in Ethiopia where it's cheaper. Water was next to get. It was the same deal as gas, twice as expensive. Water is life, so we bit the bullet and buy 10 liters. Now the only thing we have to do is get some food. Only once person would make us some, and boy was it delicious. Ok it sucked. All we got to eat was two old dry chipaits (tortillas). It's a good thing Luke always carries hot sauce with him in case of situations like this. So that was our dinner, two dry tortillas with hot sauce. After that delicous dinner it's time to hit the road and find a campsite.
We drive the 10 kilometers into Ethiopia, pretty easy stuff. There were no fences or anything. We only had the GPS to tell us when were in the new country. Now it's time to find a campsite. There are people everywhere around here. It would be nice to find a place where nobody can see us. We find a dry riverbed and drive up a ways. We haven't seen anyone in the last mile so this is the most remote we've had in awhile. 100 meters up the riverbed we see guy and stop. We tell him (mostly by playing charades) that we want to sleep here. He says no and points back the way we came. I guess we are not sleeping there. A kilometer or so up the road we find another riverbed. We try this one and find a banger spot.It was still hot outside but we need to make a fire. Camping is always more fun with a fire.We met some really cool guys and spent the rest of the night hanging out around the fire together.






HTML Comment Box is loading comments...